Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hey OG iPhone Owners: First-Run Contracts end in June, Will You Consider Another Phone?

I just realized today, while reading the news about the no Steve Jobs at WWDC announcement that my AT&T shackles will end soon; my contract is coming up. I'm free to switch to another phone without penalty (unlike the nearly $200 penalty I paid to leave T-Mobile and go AT&T/iPhone).

Will I? I can't say right off the bat "no". It's also possible that I might double up; I'm an iPhone developer (well, emerging one anyway), and might go with another phone purely for techno must-have. I really don't know for sure.

There's some pretty interesting options out there. Things that attract my attention:

- Everybody says Verizon is better than AT&T. I bought my girlfriend an iPhone, and she loves it, but she says this all the time. AT&T does seem to drop a lot of calls and have peculiar dead spots, and the iPhone does occasionally just seem to drop signal, compelling me to shut it down and restart it. That's annoying.

More robust video media. Lots of phones have WAY better cameras, can capture video, and so on. It's be nice to actually be able to use my phone as a full-time camera; I pretty much consider the iPhone camera semi-useless. For example, the Samsung Omnia, which is very iPhone like, has a 5.0 megapixel camera, and a nice touchscreen on Windows Mobile 6.1, which is supposed to be really nice. This phone would actually be a contender.

Innovation. People are learning things from the iPhone, and creating some pretty slick devices like, the Samsung Alias 2, with "morphing keys" (the correct keys appear based on the context of your use, like dialing a call vs. texting). (Verizon). This keypad is powered by e-ink technology...very interesting. 

Also, along innovation, the Palm Treo Pro. Sprint is working hard on their network, I've heard from people it's solid now. I loved my Palm, and definitely am interested in what they're up to. It runs MS Office Mobile (hmm...full Office app on the phone? I miss that...), Windows Mobile 6.1 (again people say great things), a revamped IE Mobile, a touch screen with stylus (I used to use this a lot on the Palm), Bluetooth 2.0 (iPhone really sorta fell down in the bluetooth world)..another contender. 

Storage options, like the T-Mobile G1, with a really nice touchscreen, running Android, which means Google muscle and thinking, which is a significant consideration. This phone has a microSD card slot. The phone has some flaws though; I'd probably only buy this to get involved with Android. A second run on this phone though will likely be a significant improvement. Multiple home screens might also be very useful.

In the end though, what the choice really seems all about is the OS, and your techno-religious beliefs, i.e. Microsoft is evil...no, corporations are, so Apple is too...I hate MSFT stooges...I hate Apple hipsters...only Open Source for me...I really loved my Palm...and so on. 

Do you like Windows 6.1 (which really does seem nice, but again I don't know from direct exposure), Android (probably for the techno geek...but I am one), Palm for the old loyalist or because it's easy to use, Mac/iPhone? They all support developer platforms, all have touchscreens, music services, GPS, etc. etc. etc...

Hard to say, and I'll probably stick with the iPhone. But will I look? Damn right...why not? When my contract times out, it won't cost me anything to do so anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Superbly written article, if only all website owners offered the same quality information as you, the internet would be a much better place.

    iphone developer

    ReplyDelete